Social Media Policy
Wayne Police Department
The Wayne Police Department utilizes multiple social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. This site is intended to serve as a mechanism for communication between the public and the Wayne Police Department, on the listed topics, and is designated as a Limited Public Forum to further the mission of the department.
Denial of Access
Consistent with the purpose of this Limited Public Forum, prohibited content includes but is not limited to the following comments or posts that contain:
• Profanity, offensive language or sexual content
• Discriminatory language or promotes discrimination based on race, color, creed, age, gender, religion, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation
• Commercial solicitations or links
• Links to websites that may be offensive or inappropriate
• Personal identifying information or a victim’s name, which is not subject to being released under open record laws
• Words that incite, encourage or solicit violent or illegal acts
• Language that is off topic
• Information that might compromise the safety and security of members of the department or the public
• Information that violates the legal ownership or interest of another party or infringes on copyrights, trademarks or intellectual property
• The Wayne Police Department reserves the right to remove photos or videos by the general public
Denial of Access
The Wayne Police Department is not responsible for any postings or comments deemed inappropriate that cannot be removed in a timely fashion.
Following or friending persons, a business or an organization is not an endorsement by the Wayne Police Department. Instead, it is only intended as a means of communication.
A comment posted by a member of the public on any Wayne Police Department social media site is the opinion of the commentator or poster only, and publication of a comment does not imply endorsement of, or agreement by, the Wayne Police Department, nor do such comments necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of the Wayne Police Department.
Emergency or Non-Emergency Requests for Police Assistance
This page should not be used to report crime. In case of an emergency, please call 9-1-1. If you post information related to a crime on this page, you may be placing yourself in the position of becoming a witness to a crime and subject yourself to subpoena where you can/will be called in to court as a witness to give testimony under oath.